The Relationship Between Galen’s Personality Type Theory and Emotional Intelligence Level

Olyvia Sita Aldisa Thadea, Suhartono Taat Putra, I Gusti Ngurah Gunadi Sindhu Putra

= http://dx.doi.org/10.20473/bhsj.v1i2.9579
Abstract views = 1114 times | downloads = 1837 times

Abstract


Introduction: Personality is a behavior and mindset pattern that is typical for each person in responding to every event or stimulus in his environment. Galen's theory has classified personality types into four types they are Sanguinis, Choleric, Melancholy, and Plegmatis. The level of emotional intelligence shows a person's ability to deal with demands and pressures to achieve their best in thinking and behaving appropriately. This study aims to prove the relationship between personality types based on Galen's theory with emotional intelligence level in preclinical medical students.

Methods: This study is a comparative study using an online questionnaire instrument on emotional intelligence and personality type tests compiled by Florence Littauer. This research variables are the emotional intelligence level and personality type. This study used data from 100 respondents, then data was analyzed using Chi Square test.

Results: From 100 respondents, dominant personality type is Sanguinis 35%, followed by Choleric 13%, Melancholy 27%, and Plegmatis 25%. There were no respondent who showed a low level of emotional intelligence in this study. 64% of respondents have a high level of emotional intelligence, while the remaining 36% have a moderate level. Chi Square test shows p value is 0.032.

Conclusion: There is a relationship between personality types based on Galen's theory with emotional intelligence level on medical students in Faculty of Medicine, Universitas Airlangga.


Keywords


Personality Type, Galen's Theory; Emotional Intelligence; Preclinical Medical Student

Full Text:

PDF

References


Friedman H and Schustack M. Kepribadian: Teori Klasik dan Riset Modern Edisi Ketiga Jilid 1. Translated from Personality: Classis Theories and Modern Research 1ed. Jakarta: Penerbit Erlangga, 2008.

Littauer F. Personality Plus. Jakarta: Karisma, 2011.

Goleman D. Emotional Intelligence. Jakarta: Gramedia Pustaka Utama, 2007.

Hughes and Thompson. Handbook for Developing Emotional and Social Intelligence: Best practice, Case Studies, and Strategies. San Fransisco: Pfeiffer, 2009.

IDI. Surat Keputusan PB IDI No. 111/PB/A.4/02/2013.Kode Etik Kedokteran Indonesia. In: Indonesia PBID, (ed.). Jakarta2013.

Lusiana M. Hubungan Tipe Kepribadian dengan Prestasi Akademik pada Mahasiswa Fakultas Kedokteran Universitas Riau Angkatan 2006. Jurnal Ilmu Kedokteran. 2009; 3: 59-66.

Austin EJ, Saklofske DH and Egan V. Personality, Well-being and Health Correlates of Trait Emotional Intelligence. Personality and Individual Differences. 2005; 38: 547-58.

Adhani R. Etika dan Komunikasi Dokter-Pasien-Mahasiswa. Banjarbaru: Grafika Wangi Kalimantan, 2008.

Littauer F. Personality Plus. Jakarta: Karisma, 2011.

Saptoto R. Hubungan Kecerdasan Emosi dengan Kemampuan Coping Adaptif. Jurnal Psikologi. 2010; 37: 13-22.

Cotton D. Stress Management: An Integrated Approach to Therapy. New York: Brunner/Mazel, 2013.

Summiya A, Hayat B and Khan SA. Emotional Intelligence and Gender Differences. Sarhad Journal of Agriculture. 2009; 25: 127-30.

Darmayanti N. Meta‐Analisis: Gender dan Depresi pada Remaja. Jurnal Psikologi. 35: 164-80.

Angeles K. The Forgotten Personality. College Now Southwest Minnesota University, 2011.


Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.




Copyright (c) 2018 Biomolecular and Health Science Journal

INDEXING BY:

Creative Commons License

This Journal (E-ISSN:2620-8636) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.

View BHSJ Stats