- Focus and Scope
- Section Policies
- Peer Review Process
- Publication Frequency
- Open Access Policy
- PLAGIARISM SCREENING
- ARTICLE PROCESSING CHARGE
Focus and Scope
MEDKOM, Journal of Media and Communication is a scientific journal published by Department of Communication Airlangga University. MEDKOM Journal is an interdisciplinary journal that, while centered in communication, is open and welcoming to contributions from the many disciplines and approaches that meet at the crossroads that is communication study. MEDKOM journal publishes original papers, case studies, and empirical research.
Jurnal Media dan Komunikasi aims to support and encourage any research research in communication studies. Topics addressed within the journal include but not limited to:
- Political communication. Any research related to political-related communication such as political campaign, media effect, campaign ethics, etc.
- Cross-cultural communication. Any research related to the process of communication between people with different culture (for instance race, ethnic, or socio-economic)
- Marketing and public relations. Discusses various topics within business, marketing, advertisement, PR, and other communication strategies implemented in contemporary business landscape.
- Audio-visual culture. Discusses any aspects of modern, ever-changing media. From music, television, video game, to internet.
- Health communication. Discusses communication strategy to distribute health information within community or society.
|Open Submissions||Indexed||Peer Reviewed|
Peer Review Process
Manuscripts submitted to Jurnal Media dan Komunikasi (MEDKOM) will undergo a selection and assessment process by the Board of Editors to ensure their accordance with the writing guideline, focus, and scope, and that they are of excellent academic quality. The manuscripts will be reviewed using the double blind peer review method in which case neither authors nor reviewers know each other’s identities.
Desk Review. At the desk review stage, manuscripts will be examined to ensure that they have met the writing guideline, focus, and scope with excellent academic quality. If they do not meet the conditions, the author will be given the opportunity to revise their manuscript according to the given criteria. However, there is also the possibility that the manuscript will be directly rejected.
Peer review. When the manuscript has passed the desk review stage, it will then be delivered to two reviewers who are experts in the field of the submitted manuscript. The review process will be done within 3 weeks. Manuscripts that did not successfully pass the desk review process will not proceed to this stage.
The reviewer’s decision will be considered by the Board of Editors to determine the ensuing process of the manuscript.
- Revision Stage. Once the manuscript has been received with notations of minor or major revisions, it will be returned to the author with a review summary form. For manuscripts accepted with major revisions, authors are allotted 3-6 weeks to revise. Whereas for manuscripts accepted with minor revisions, 1 week is allotted for revision. When returning the revised manuscript, the author is required to fill in and attach the cover letter and author's declaration.
- Final decision. At this stage, the manuscript will be re-evaluated by the Board of Editors to ensure that the author has revised in response to the reviewers’ concerns. In this final decision, the manuscript may still be rejected if the author did not seriously conduct the revisions necessary.
- Proofread. Once the manuscript has been deemed acceptable by the Board of Editors, it will undergo a proofreading process to maintain linguistic quality.
- Publication confirmation. At this stage, the final layout of the manuscript will be resent to the author to ensure that the content is in accordance with the author’s writing. At this stage, the author may revise any typographical error found in the final manuscript. Once confirmation from the author is given, the Editor will process the manuscript for online publication on the website as well as print publication. The author(s) will receive the final version of the manuscript as a PDF file. PROOF of all manuscripts will be provided to the corresponding author. The PROOF should be read carefully, checked against the typed manuscript, and the corrections may be returned within 7 days.
- Rejection confirmation. If manuscript is rejected, the author will be notified by Chief Editor with a statement of reasons for rejection. The author may appeal to Chief Editor if he or she believes an unfair judgement has been made which encloses the author’s reasons. Chief Editor will review and discuss the reasons with Section Editors responsible for the manuscript, and later decide whether to accept or deny the appeal.
- Copyright of manuscripts. Authors submitting manuscripts should understand and agree that copyright of manuscripts of the article shall be assigned/transferred to by Jurnal Media dan Komunikasi (MEDKOM). The statement to release the copyright to Jurnal Media dan Komunikasi (MEDKOM) is stated in author's declaration Form. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (CC BY-NC-SA) where Authors and Readers can copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format, as well as remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, but they must give appropriate credit (cite to the article or content), provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. If you remix, transform, or build upon the material, you must distribute your contributions under the same license as the original.
Proofread. Once the manuscript has been deemed acceptable by the Board of Editors, it will undergo a proofreading process to maintain linguistic quality.
Publication confirmation. At this stage, the final layout of the manuscript will be resent to the author to ensure that the content is in accordance with the author’s writing. At this stage, the author may revise any typographical error found in the final manuscript. Once confirmation from the author is given, the Editor will process the manuscript for online publication on the website as well as print publication.
This journal will be published twice a year every May and November.
Open Access Policy
This journal provides immediate open access to its content on the principle that making research freely available to the public supports a greater global exchange of knowledge.
This journal utilizes the PKP PN, LOCKSS and CLOCKSS systems to create a distributed archiving system among participating libraries and permits those libraries to create permanent archives of the journal for purposes of preservation and restoration.
To avoid plagiarism, all submissions are screened using Turnitin before undergo the review processes. Plagiarism-free works should match these requirements:
1. Writing that quoting writings of others (by quoting indirectly) that has been well paraphrased, by making one’s own words, instead of performing copy and paste or typing the source word-by-word, and write down the reading sources according to the rules of scientific writing.
2. Writing with the direct quotation, by quoting the same words as the original copies should apply quotation marks (for writing that less than 40 words), or if the quote consists of over than 40 words, the paragraphs should be notched and apply different font size.
3. Mentioning the source other people's ideas that are being used, whether from published or unpublished writing, both oral or written source, in any form of media
The journal uses anti-plagiarism software "Turnitin" to check the authenticity of articles with a maximum similarity score of 20%.
ARTICLE PROCESSING CHARGE
Jurnal Media dan Komunikasi (MEDKOM) applies Publication Charge Free. The charge includes peer-reviewing, editing, publishing, maintaining and archiving, and allows immediate access to the full-text versions of the article will be covered by Universitas Airlangga. There is no charge for submitting the article as well.